Current:Home > StocksProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Capitatum
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:50:53
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (563)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Huge, cannibal invasive frog concerns Georgia wildlife officials: 'This could be a problem'
- Live updates | 6 killed overnight in an apparent Israeli airstrike on a home in southern Gaza
- Russia hammers Ukraine's 2 largest cities with hypersonic missiles
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- The US Tennis Association is reviewing its safeguarding policies and procedures
- California forces retailers to have 'gender-neutral' toy aisles. Why not let kids be kids?
- Poor schools are prepared to return to court if Pennsylvania budget falls short on funding plan
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Exploding toilet at a Dunkin’ store in Florida left a customer filthy and injured, lawsuit claims
Ranking
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Casey Anthony's Dad Answers Questions About Caylee's Death During On-Camera Lie Detector Test
- With 2024 being a UK election year, the opposition wants an early vote. PM Rishi Sunak is in no rush
- Florida Surgeon General Dr. Ladapo wants to halt COVID mRNA vaccines, going against FDA
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Make Life Easier With $3 Stanley Tumbler Accessories— Spill Stoppers, Snack Trays, Carrying Cases & More
- Achieve a Minimal Makeup Look That Will Keep You Looking Refreshed All Day, According to an Expert
- Navajo Nation charges 2 tribal members with illegally growing marijuana as part of complex case
Recommendation
Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
Houthis launch sea drone to attack ships hours after US, allies issue ‘final warning’
South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been released from prison on parole, authorities say
National championship game breakdown: These factors will decide Michigan vs. Washington
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
‘Fat Leonard’ seeks new attorneys ahead of sentencing in Navy bribery case, causing another delay
Oscar Pistorius is set to be released on parole. He will be strictly monitored until December 2029
Huge waves will keep battering California in January. Climate change is making them worse.